What is Low Level Laser Therapy?
Low level laser, cold laser or light therapy, is a treatment which uses different types of light to interact with tissues and cells of the body. Our cells have little powerhouses inside called mitochondria. Through stimulation with a low level laser, we are able to influence an increase in cellular energy, promoting healthier cell growth.
With a cold low level laser, there have been great results seen after treatment:
- enhancement to mitochondrial activity and the production of ATP (cellular energy)
- regulation of inflammation
- increased blood flow
- increased synthesis of protein, collagen, DNA
- reduction of oxidative damage to the cells
- quality of motility in semen
- softening of scar tissue
Low level laser treatment is applied to acupuncture points over the belly, and neck have been shown to enhance the activity of those little cellular powerhouses. It is used to decrease pain and help to promote healing throughout the body. With regular acupuncture treatments you can help the body to balance it’s hormones, help to relax the muscles, and promote an overall feeling of well being.
Laser Acupuncture Can Improve Fertility
- no unnecessary side effects due to retrieval techniques
- decreases miscarriage pregnancy complications
- helps enhance conception during IVF and IUI treatments
- can improve blood flow to reproductive organs
- balance hormones
- optimize implantation There have been many studies recently which show that low level laser and LED (light emitting diode) therapies can significantly increase pregnancy rates of women, even if they haven’t found luck with other treatments such as IVF. Through use of a cold laser, we are able to stimulate the flow of blood to the reproductive system and help to enhance production of cellular energy. The egg has more mitochondria than any other type of cell, therefore they require a tremendous amount of energy when developing. As a woman ages, the eggs typically tend to have less energy (ATP) in the cell, which impacts fertility greatly. This treatment can be very helpful in couples experiencing infertility due to age related issues. Treatments usually will follow a woman’s cycle, most patients treating 2 to 3 times throughout the week. You can further influence your fertility with healthy habits and lifestyle. Our treatment goal is to get the internal environment to the most optimal condition before the egg becomes implanted, and the 3-6 months prior to ovulation is key for building a healthy pregnancy. Living in a way that can help to promote well-being throughout your whole body is a great way to start a happy and healthy pregnancy! Be proactive about your fertility!
If you have been diagnosed with any of these conditions, Low Level Laser acupuncture might be the perfect treatment for you
- Unexplained Infertility
- Low or Diminished Ovarian Reserve
- Poor Egg Quality
- Poor Egg Quantity
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome PCOS
- Failed IVF or IUI treatments
Oshiro, Toshio. “Personal Overview of the Application of LLIT in Severely Infertile Japanese Females” Laser Therapy. 2012 Jul 3; 21(2): 97–103. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3944482/
Grinsted, Arne. “Laser Therapy for Female and Male Infertility.” The Annals of Laser Therapy Research. N.p., 4 Dec. 2016. Web. 04 May 2017.
“Laser Therapy and Fertility in Practice” PowerMedic Lasers. April 3rd, 2017. http://www.powermediclasers.com/news-about-laser-therapy/laser-therapy-a…
Cited in Doidge, Norman. The Brain’s Way of Healing. New York: Viking, 2015.
Photomed Laser Surg. 2012 May; 30(5): 239–241. – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3339380/